News of the death of Lord Cornwall arrived while you were at work, and you were immediately instructed to investigate the case. Unfortunately, the murder investigation – for it was murder: you found in the room all the signs of an apparent struggle-has come to a dead-end. You have however managed to gather some information, and even arrested three suspects for murder. All three of them are sitting around the table at this very moment. With the help of the medium you want to understand who had a motive, who had the opportunity to commit this crime, and how it was done. Spirits know a lot more True- WHAT mage INEUR pean Bepio, than ordinary people.
Here is the information that you were able to gather:
- Chris Wharf has a motive: following the death of Lord Cornwall, Chris found himself the exclusive manager of a trading company and able to make all of the decisions in the company himself. However, the inheritance will only go to the descendants of Lord Cornwall. Additionally, Chris had often been a guest of the Lord and knew the house very well. Chris was arrested by the police at his company offices on the same day.
- Jacques Labor has often been seen hanging out around the house of the deceased Lord. On the day of the murder, he was arrested just outside Cornwall's house shortly after the incident. Cornwall's servant, Henry, supplied information that Jacques had been inside the house at times, either as a guest of Lord Cornwall's son or daughter.
- In addition Jacques is an active participant in the socialist movement, and for a long time he has been fighting against the 'hated multinational companies exploiting the poor colonies. He has a history of being arrested during protests in the city.
- Finally, there is Henry, Lord Cornwall's butler. This person had access to the Lord's study, was always at home and knew all of his master's secrets.
- It was Henry who was first to appear in the Lord's room after the murder. The motive that would drive the servant to kill his master is not clear to you, though that does not remove this suspect from your list. He should not be discounted.
- The murderer got into the house without breaking through the door. Either he had keys to the house, or someone let him in. Theoretically, he could have climbed through a window, but this is a four-storeyed house, and the Lord's study is on the top floor, so it would have been very difficult.
- Signs of a struggle were found in the room, with clear indications that the murderer was very inexperienced, having tried to make the fall that caused the death look like a suicide. Lord Cornwall's last will and testament does exist, but unfortunately it cannot be consulted for clues, as Cornwall commanded that it only be read exactly one month after his death. The lawyer refuses to give it to the police, citing the laws of England. You have invited Barett, an expert on spiritualism, to join the séance in order to monitor the progress of the séance and make sure that this is not a cheap fraud. However, you personally are inclined to trust the medium and the assistant, the fame of which has been spreading all over Europe.